[SciPy-user] Integrating Array

rgold at lsw.uni-heidelberg.de rgold at lsw.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Oct 19 05:37:05 EDT 2007

First of all, thanks for the extensive and quick answers!
Unfortunately, I do not have an analytic expression of my integrand!
That's why I can't use quad! More precisely I perform the integral over a
product of two arrays from which one is the result of a function
calculating Legendre Polynomials, but the other array is pure non-analytic
data.
I have posted here a few months ago my problem when calculating the
Legendre-Polynomials using scipy.special.legendre() and thanks to your
help and the help of others I have written a function PLs(l,x) which
calculates for each given value x between -1 and 1 the value of the
Legendre Polynomial l and now everything is stable AND accurate (except
for my integration)!

Actually I DO KNOW more about my integrand (but only about the one part
with the Legendre Polynomials) thats why I started interpolating (@Anne:
You are completely right about the other part (=the data-array)! I just
have not enough points,end of story! I think that the error comes from the
Legendre Polys:-).
This morning I've seen that the interpolation indeed improves the accuracy
allthough I am using trapz(). Does anyone of you have an explanation for
the failure of the simps routine (happens only when I interpolate,works
fine for the non-interpolated data:-/)?
Today I am trying to interpolate such, that I can use romberg! Let's see
what will happen...

Thanks again!
Roman