[SciPy-user] Generate random samples from a non-standard distribution

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 03:27:55 EDT 2007

Manu Hack wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been goolging around but not sure how to generate random samples
> given the density function of a random variable.  I was looking around
> something like scipy.stats.rv_continuous but couldn't find anything
> useful.

No, we don't have any general samplers like that. It is difficult to construct
worthwhile general samplers. Most of them involve knowing at least a little bit
of information about the distribution. I like this group's approach:

  http://statmath.wu-wien.ac.at/projects/arvag/index.html

If you would like to implement some of their strategies for scipy (from the
original literature, not their GPLed code), I'd be more than happy to help you
with such an endeavor.

http://code.google.com/p/pymc/

--
Robert Kern