[SciPy-user] running scipy code simultaneously on several machines

Kurt Smith kwmsmith at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 16:39:15 EDT 2007

On 10/14/07, Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert gives the link to more details about how to start everything.
> But if you are just running on a single machine, the easiest way is to
> just do:
>
> $ ipcluster -n 4
>
> >From the shell after installing ipython1.  Let us know if you have
> further problems.
>
> Brian

Thanks for the pointers!  Very impressive piece of work -- it will
help me very much with my batch jobs and I'll be watching it as it
matures.  Impressive scatter/gather interface, too -- very clean.

There was a bit of a hangup when running ipcluster -- on my MacBook,
if you put it in the background right away, the process is stopped
immediately before the script has a chance to set up the controller
and spawn the engines:

$ ipcluster -n 4 &
[1] 450
$ Starting controller: Controller PID: 452
[1]+  Stopped                 ipcluster -n 4
$

Since it is stopped and the engines aren't created, trying to use it fails.

I have to run 'ipcluster -n <num>' in the foreground, let it set up
the engines, suspend it (CTRL-Z) and put it in the background for
things to work nicely.  Is there any way around this?  Not a big deal,
just wondering if I'm doing anything wrong.

Thanks again!

Kurt