[SciPy-user] Best way to save and load sparse matrix

Robin robince at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 03:54:52 EDT 2007

Hello,

What is the best way to save and load a large sparse matrix to and from a
file?

It will eventually be as large as memory in the computer permits so I would
prefer a binary format. As a converting MATLAB user my preference was to try
the matlab v4 file but it seems they don't support sparse matrices. I also
haven't had much luck with any other method - the binary method in the
cookbook for example says you have to know the size and datatype of the
array you're loading, but doesn't indicate how this would work for sparse
matrices.

What would be the easiest option?

Thanks,

Robin