[SciPy-user] precision question re float96 and float128

Lev Givon lev at columbia.edu
Tue Oct 2 13:04:14 EDT 2007

I have numpy 1.0.3.1 installed on a Pentium 4 system running Linux 2.6
and an Intel Core 2 Duo system running MacOSX 10.4.10. On the former,
the float96 datatype is defined; on the latter, float128. While
examining the machine limits with the finfo function on the
aforementioned hosts, I noticed that the limits for float96 and
float128 were identical. For example, finfo(float96).precision
and finfo(float128).precision both returned 18. Is this expected?
Shouldn't the precision of the latter be greater?

							L.G.