[SciPy-user] Pb with numpy.histogram

massimo sandal massimo.sandal at unibo.it
Mon Oct 1 10:51:58 EDT 2007

David Huard ha scritto:
> Hi LB,
>
> I think histogram has had this weird behavior since the numeric era and
> a lot of code may break if we fix it.
 > Basically, histogram discards the
 > lower than range values as outliers but puts the higher than range
 > values into the last bin.
 >
 > I'm generally using my own histograming routines, I could send them your
 > way if you're interested.

I'm not a SciPy developer so my weight on the discussion is next to
zero, but I personally think that other people code breaking is not a
good reason to keep a buggy function.

We don't want code that relies on bugs like they were features: we're
not Microsoft, aren't we? ;)

People should be informed before updating, of course, and maybe an
oldhistogram() function could be maintained to allow for easy updating,
but if histogram() behavour is so flawed that people is forced to
rewrite their own routines, please fix it.

m.

--
Massimo Sandal
University of Bologna