[SciPy-user] Building with a non-standard gfortran

David M. Cooke cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca
Fri Nov 23 02:31:10 EST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007, at 09:03 , Adam Mercer wrote:

> Hi
>
> Using MacPorts, the gfortran compiler, from gcc-4.2.x, is installed as
> gfortran-mp-4.2.  I have been trying to build scipy with this compiler
> and found that that numpy I need to build and install with
>
> $ python setup.py config_fc --fcompiler gnu95 \
>    --f77exec /opt/local/bin/gfortran-mp-4.2 \
>    --f90exec /opt/local/bin/gfortran-mp-4.2 build
> $ python setup.py install --prefix=${NUMPY_LOCATION}
>
> however using the above for scipy fails on the install phase with it
> being unable to locate a fortran compiler.  I therefore need to
> install scipy with
>
> $ python setup.py config_fc --fcompiler gnu95 \
>    --f77exec /opt/local/bin/gfortran-mp-4.2 \
>    --f90exec /opt/local/bin/gfortran-mp-4.2 install --prefix=$
> {SCIPY_LOCATION}
>
> Is this expected, as I would have expected install to inherit the
> options that where used during the build phase?

The options used in the build phase aren't stored, so, yes, they need
to be respecified. For numpy it doesn't matter, as the Fortran
compiler isn't used. Since we use distutils, you can set the config_fc
options in a file (either globally for the user in a
~/.pydistutils.cfg, or per-package in a setup.cfg next to the setup.py
you're running) by adding the following section to the appropiate file

[config_fc]
fcompiler=gfortran
f77exec=gfortran-mp-4.2
f90exec=gfortran-mp-4.2