[SciPy-user] Problem installing scipy 0.6.0 on PPC OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 16:47:29 EST 2007

Are you using the builtin python?  If so, you will need to set your
PYTHONPATH to point to the directory where numpy 1.0.4 is installed.
The reason is that the builtin python comes with python 1.0.1, which
won't build scipy with the gfortran you have.

There is a somewhat odd issue on Leopard.  If you look at sys.path:

python -c "import sys; print sys.path"

You will see that the directory where the builtin numpy is (I think it
is something like */Extras/*) is before the site-packages directory
where your numpy 1.0.4 would be installed (unless you used to --home
or --prefix options when running python setup.py install).  This means
that unless you set PYTHONPATH you will always get Leopards older
numpy, which will cause scipy to fail on building.

Note, this is very different than on Tiger where the builtin python
did not include many third party packages.  Leopard includes quite a
few (for better or worse).

Brian