[SciPy-user] Scipy + Vision = LabView ?

Etienne Gaudrain et.gaudrain at free.fr
Sun Nov 4 08:03:13 EST 2007

Hi,

I'm a Python newbie, and I'm not particularly familiar with LabView...

However, I know a soft/language that could be interesting to mention in
this discussion.

The FAUST language is a functional language for audio processing. The
language describes a block diagram (that can be generated in SVG from
the code). One particularity is that the "FAUST compiler" reduces the
process (using lambda-calculus) and then translates it in C++. In
addition, the C++ code can then be wrapped with a GUI wrapper (GTK,
wx...) and a sound system wrapper (ALSA, OSS...). The goal is cleary to
interact with users during realtime processing.

I thought a few months ago that it could be just wonderful to be able to
use FAUST code in Python just like done with Weave.
The developers of FAUST have developed an online version so you can test
it here: http://faust.grame.fr/.

-Etienne

Matthieu Brucher a écrit :

>     > What do you mean by that. Reaction to the changes as they
>     happen, a bit
>     > like in labview. I think enthought's pacakage would be the one
>     to look
>     > at, as a reactive interaction with the user was one of their design
>     > goals.
>     What I mean, is for "realtime" control loops.
>     Let's say I sample data at something like 20 kHz,
>     want to perform some calculations on it,
>     display it and feed the manipulated data back to my hardware,
>     how am I going to let the data flow:
>     - sample by sample, much too slow
>     - chunking, that will work, but do these environments support that ?
>     I do the latter in Scipy, but with a Delphi GUI ;-) , that works
>     quit well.
>     In the radio world there seems to be a even much faster approach (real
>     time demodulation).
>

> This needs, IMHO, a special package. Usual algorithms are not realtime
> capable.
> Real-time arises when there is a time notion, and this needs the use
> of chunks and thus a special interface. For instance in audio, the
> standard is hard to use, and there are a lot of pitfalls when
> implementing a host that respects the different latencies.
>
> Matthieu
>
> --
> French PhD student
> Website : http://miles.developpez.com/
> Blogs : http://matt.eifelle.com and http://blog.developpez.com/?blog=92
> LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/in/matthieubrucher

Etienne Gaudrain
Universite Claude Bernard LYON 1
CNRS - UMR5020, Neurosciences Sensorielles, Comportement, Cognition
50, avenue Tony Garnier
69366 LYON Cedex 07
FRANCE
Tél : 04 37 28 74 85