[SciPy-user] What can be improved ?

Steven H. Rogers steve at shrogers.com
Thu May 17 08:54:11 EDT 2007

Stef Mientki wrote:
> And here are some aspects, for which I still have doubts or questions:
> - from .... import *
> the use of this construct is discouraged, and gives a warning (the only
> warning I get is from David ;-)
> Coming from Delphi, it's very common to include everything you've available,
> so you never have to worry missing something,
> and if included in the right order,
> you are guaranteed to have the best version of everything (due to
> overrides),
> while you're still able to use older/previous libraries, by explictly
> naming them.
> The compiler will sort out everything you don't need.
> So what's so different in Python, that I can't include everything that's
> on my PC ?

You can, it just isn't efficient.  It pollutes your top level name space
and increases the probability of naming collisions.  It increases the
memory footprint unnecessarily.
> - use CSV, yes but how should I've known ?
> I think (and it's mentioned before by others) this is one of the major
> problems of Python,
> "where should I find something ?". I've read the book "Learning Python",
> but nothing is mentioned about CSV :-(

While an excellent introductory text, this isn't a very good reference
IMHO.  Take a look at David Beazley's
`Python Essential Reference <http://www.amazon.com/dp/0672328623>`_
which has brief but clear explanations and examples and is well
organized for reference.

I'm looking at adding a documentation search capability for IPython to
augment it's interactive help.  So far I have little but good intentions
and  a wiki page
<http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/Developer_Zone/SearchDocs>.  Ideas about
what would be most useful to users, search strategies, and how best to
present the results are welcome.

# Steve