[SciPy-user] zeros of bessel functions: jn_zeros and jnp_zeros in Windows

Giulio Venezian gvenezian at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 11:20:48 EDT 2007

I am unable to get the functions jn_zeros and
jnp_zeros to work. I am running vpython on Windows XP
Home Edition.

I have Python 2.5 Tk version 8.4 and IDLE version 1.2
and NumPy 1.0.2 and SciPy 0.5.2. I used the Windows
self installers from the respective websites.

I installed the programs in this order: Python 2.5,and
then the VPython, Numpy, and Scipy that were specified
for Python 2.5.

When I call jn_zeros or jnp_zeros, an error message
text box that opens up in a separate window that says:

"pythonw.exe has encountered a problem and needs to
close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
If you were in the middle of something, the
information you were working on might be lost.
..."

After more stuff, there are three buttons Debug, Send
Error Report, and Don't Send

The program I ran was

from scipy import special
## calculate values of bessel function (this works)
order=0
for x in range (0,11):
    a=special.jn(order,x)
    print x,a
##help(special)
print 'trying jn.zeros'
## this doesn't work
#calculate zeros (this doesn't work)
print special.jn_zeros(3,5)

  and the output was

0 1.0
1 0.765197686558
2 0.223890779141
3 -0.260051954902
4 -0.397149809864
5 -0.177596771314
6 0.150645257251
7 0.30007927052
8 0.171650807138
9 -0.0903336111829
10 -0.245935764451
trying jn.zeros

then the program stops, the text box opens up and,
when I close the text box, I get

The error occurs whether I use IDLE or the Python
command line, except that when tI close the text box,
the command line box window closes too.

Someone suggested that I modify my listing to:
from scipy import *
import scipy
scipy.__version__
## calculate values of bessel function (this works)
order=0
for x in range (0,11):
    a=special.jn(order,x)
    print x,a
##help(special)
print 'trying jn.zeros'
## this doesn't work
#calculate zeros (this doesn't work)

print special.jnp_zeros(3,5)

this resulted in the same error message.

The only new thing was that the response to the line
scipy.__version__
when running the command line Python was
'0.5.2'
There was no response in IDLE; it just went to the
next step.

Any suggestions?

Giulio

____________________________________________________________________________________Get the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the added security of spyware protection.