[SciPy-user] numpy version of Interactive Data Analysis tutorial available

Stef Mientki s.mientki at ru.nl
Sat May 12 05:29:02 EDT 2007

hello Perry and Robert,

Your tutorial is really an impressive work of art.
I still consider myself a newbie, because I've more questions then
answers ;-)
I read the first chapter and it's written very clear and also takes the
user in small steps to larger applications.

Now I think I miss one important thing,
At the end of chapter 1 there are a few exercises,
exercise 5: "create some function, display it, compute the FFT"

I doubt if any new reader is able to perform the last step: "compute the
FFT".
- how does the reader know what libraries to import
- how does the reader know what the exact function name is
- how does the reader know what the function parameters and the return
values are, and about certain constraints

In other words, I didn't find anything on "help", how to search for
certain functions.
I've to admit that this is one of the biggest problems for newbies,
Python is so large, that's often very difficult to find the right answer.
It's also strongly dependent on the editor / IDE you use what help
functions are available,
and I think IPython has (for a plain text interface) some powerful commands.

So in short, I would suggest (for your second edition ;-) to add a
paragraph on getting help to the first chapter.

thanks for the tutorial,
cheers,
Stef Mientki