[SciPy-user] Scipy / matplotlib to replace matlab and indexes

John Pye john at curioussymbols.com
Sun May 6 11:35:34 EDT 2007

So, what will 'they' say in return?

    * Where's the manual?
    * What is the one single file that I have to install?
    * Why do I have to pay to get the numpy manual?

I use python/matplotlib and to a lesser extent scipy very frequently but
I have to say that I don't think the user experience is quite smooth
enough for foisting on those poor undergrads just yet. I think that the
fragmentation of the documentation is just too much, as well as the fact
that a really important part of the documentation is non-free. I would
like to see a one-file installer for Windows (AFAIK this doesn't exist)
and big searchable .CHM file with everything you need. You have to think
about all those people who struggle through their first programming
course...

I'm curious as to whether SciLab was an option you've considered?

Cheers
JP