[SciPy-user] Numerical Achievements in SciPy

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Wed May 2 02:19:56 EDT 2007

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 03:45:17PM -0500, Robert Kern wrote:
> We essentially have the CRAN model using the Python Package Index.

> 1. Write your code.
> 2. Package it using distutils.
> 3. Submit the package to the PyPI http://www.python.org/pypi/. It will host your
> tarballs and eggs and wininst installers, so you don't have to scrounge for
> hosting.
> 4. Write up a web page about it if the description text that PyPI allows isn't
> enough for your code. Feel free to use the www.scipy.org wiki if you like.
> 5. Announce your package here and other places of interest.

Well this is quite a complicated proceedure if you just want to share a
little bit of code. Most people don't want to learn about distutils. I
think I would also be useful to have something where it is dead easy to
contribute code. The wiki is indeed a good starting point, but I don't
think it will scale up terribly well.

Gaël