[SciPy-user] matlab, idle, interactivity and teaching

Giorgio Luciano giorgio.luciano at chimica.unige.it
Wed Mar 28 10:58:42 EDT 2007

Hello to all,
I've thread that apperead some time ago on this list about matlab and
teaching.
I've discovered python recently  and translated part of the routine I
use in python (www.chemometrics.it).
Some of my collegue asked me if I could show them how to use python. For
matlab user I guess the first problem is to setup everything, but I just
fixed it preparing a directory with all the package I need and a
matplotlibrc file for interactive mode + a shortcut for idle -n use.
The second problem is that people now  wants some bells and whistles of
matlab that I have to admit sometime can be very helpful for saving
time. The bells and whistles are about the workspace.
It's difficult to cut and paste from gnumeric/excel (I generally use txt
file but it's no so immediate) and also there is no "visual" workspace.
I cannot succeed also in saving workspace (I know there is a function so
iosave.mat but I didn't manage easily hot to use it)
For overpass this problems I've tried to use QME-DEV which is in early
stage of development (alpha) but promise well.
What people like of python/matplot/scipy
-its free ;)
-they like a lot the plotting style and capabilities (they find the png
and svg file very clear and accurate)
-they like IDLE as editor (ehy it's has the same color of matlab ;) ! )

So my question is . Do you have a similar experience ?
How do you help people in moving the first step ?
do you use (and also does it exist) a more friendly environment than
IDLE except from QME-DEV.

I know that this question may look silly, but in my opinion also how
much is user friendly a software is very important for getting new users.
Cheers to all
Giorgio