[SciPy-user] FEM

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 22:25:17 EDT 2007

Howdy, I don't do FEA, but the things I do are not so different.
You might find the matlab comparison web page useful:
   http://www.scipy.org/NumPy_for_Matlab_Users
Since I wrote a lot that page, I won't repeat the pros and cons
arguments here in detail, but rather refer you to that page.

Here's a quick summary of what I see to be the highlights:
* Python/Numpy/Scipy are much better when it comes to the language
itself and software development aspects, integrating with native code
in C/C++/Fortran, and applying spot-optimizations.

* Matlab is better (for now) when it comes to graphical debugging.
* Matlab is better (for now) when it comes to finding free code to
solve standard mathematical problem X.
* Matlab is better when it comes to profiling.

But keep on evangelizing.  As far as I see it, the advantages of
Python are intrinsic (it's based on a good language with broad
community), whereas Matlab's are temporary and derive primarily from
having a large head start.

Finally, especially for academia I think the licensing terms are a
very important consideration.

--bb