[SciPy-user] Problems compiling scipy on SuSE 10.2

rex rex at nosyntax.net
Sat Jun 16 12:18:04 EDT 2007

David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> [2007-06-16 07:15]:

> After, do as before. Note that you still does not use atlas as shared
> library, but this should make things work anyway for scipy. According to
> rex, using my script garnumpy made life easier for openSUSE:
>
> http://www.ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp/members/david/archives/garnumpy-0.2.1.tbz2
>
> This will download, configure and build a self contained scipy and all
> its dependencies (netlib blas/lapack by default, but you can use atlas
> instead by uncommenting the necessary lines in the gar.conf.mk file, as
> mentionned in the README).

The url is:

http://www.ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp/members/david/archives/garnumpy/garnumpy-0.2.1.tbz2

As a test of the default settings, I created a newuser, downloaded the
above file into newuser/, and:

tar -xjvf garnumpy-0.2.1.tbz2
cd garnumpy-0.2.1
cd platform/scipy
make install

It completed the build & lengthy test process w/o errors. I was very
pleasantly surprised that the default settings resulted in a successful
build. What a change from the painful manual process! David, thank you
very much for this contribution to the community. It promises to be a
very useful tool, especially for new users.

One small change needs to be made if you run Python2.5.

In startgarnumpy.sh, the line

PYTHONPATH=$GARNUMPYDIR/lib/python2.4/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH

needs to be changed to

PYTHONPATH=$GARNUMPYDIR/lib/python2.5/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH

Then

source startgarnumpy.sh

The system is a Core 2 Duo running 32-bit openSUSE 10.2 &
Python2.5. Next, I plan to experiment changing the defaults to match the
hardware better.

-rex
--
Time flies like wind. Fruit flies like pears.