[SciPy-user] Problems installing scipy

Alexander Dietz Alexander.Dietz at astro.cf.ac.uk
Tue Jul 31 14:29:57 EDT 2007

Hi,

thanks for the tipps bot none of them are working!

On 7/31/07, David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp > wrote:

> Alexander Dietz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to install scipy on my laptop, running FC5. I have
> > installed numpy, so I downloaded the scipy-package and run the setup
> > script which creates a warning only:
> >
> Note that to avoid all this hassle, there are some rpm for FC5 for numpy
> and scipy:
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/ashigabou/Fedora_Extras_5/

I tried to install the rpm package, but, as I expected before, several other
packages are required to install scipy:

error: Failed dependencies:
        libblas.so.3 is needed by python-scipy-0.5.2-14.1.i386
        liblapack.so.3 is needed by python-scipy-0.5.2-14.1.i386
        python-numpy is needed by python-scipy-0.5.2-14.1.i386

And as I pointed out, I have numpy installed already...

Also, when running the setup script absolutely nothing gets installed. This
might be related to the warning printed out:

/usr/lib/python2.4/distutils/dist.py:236: UserWarning: Unknown distribution
option: 'configuration'
  warnings.warn(msg)

Do I need a new version of 'distutils'? Any other idea in order to install
scipy?

Thanks
  Alex