[SciPy-user] Fastest way to save/load fairly large (sparse) matrices

David Warde-Farley dwf at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Jul 18 16:41:55 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

I've been wrestling with this problem for some time now. Essentially
I'm using Numpy/Scipy as the backend in a python-based web
application and need a way of serializing the contents of a fairly
large, but sparsely populated, symmetric matrix to disk. So far I've
experimented with just ASCII dumps and pickling, but neither really
has the kind of speed that I'm looking for (and is kind of necessary
for an interactive web application). Is there some better way?

To give you an idea of the scale, I'm hoping to get this to work with
20000x20000 matrices that are about 1% full.

Thanks,

David