[SciPy-user] scipy code contribution question

Lev Givon lev at columbia.edu
Wed Jul 4 16:56:25 EDT 2007

I recently had occasion to translate one of the functions in Matlab's
signal processing toolkit not currently available in scipy into Python
for my own nefarious purposes (i.e., reworking some extant Matlab code
in Python). Might there be any copyright obstacles to my contributing
it to scipy? I personally suspect not because

- Mathworks' copyright specifically protects its Matlab code and
  cannot constrain one from reimplementing non-patented and/or publicly
  available algorithms in other languages;
- my reimplementation is not an exact translation of said Matlab code;
  and
- the code of several scipy functions seems to have been directly
  inspired by that of corresponding functions included in Matlab.

Please feel free to disabuse me of any misconceptions I may have
expressed above.

							L.G.