[SciPy-user] Fitting sphere to 3d data points

David Goldsmith David.L.Goldsmith at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 25 16:33:56 EST 2007

James Vincent wrote:
> Thanks for all the input. I _think_ I've got it. (emphasis added)
Have you tested it w/ points known to lie on a sphere, e.g., (+/-1, 0,
0), (0,+/-1,0), (0,0,+/-1), which should of course yield a=b=c=0, r=1
with zero residual error?  One reason why I ask is that, when fitting
data to a polynomial model (a sphere is the locus of the solution set of
the polynomial A(x^2 + y^2 + z^2) + Bx + Cy + Dz -1 = 0) I usually like
to take advantage of the fact that a polynomial is a linear function of
the "monomial" pieces, in this case x^2 + y^2 + z^2, x, y, & z.  Since
in general one can't solve a polynomial for what one wants
formulaically, this is the only general way to linear least squares fit
data to a polynomial; of course in your quadratic case, one can solve
for any one of the data variables in terms of the others (as you have
done), but to do so you have to introduce the square-root function,
which numerically speaking, isn't quite as exact as simply squaring.  In
other words, I would respectfully suggest that you fit the four
quantities (x^2 + y^2 + z^2), x, y, & z to the model A(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)
+ Bx + Cy + Dz -1 = 0 and calculate your a, b, c, and r from the A, B,
C, & D.  (And even if you choose not to do that, at least test your
algorithm with some pseudo-data chosen to yield known exact results.)

DG

PS: I've had to fit data to a circle before (using IDL); if anyone else
thinks they might have to do something like this in the future, I could
contribute "under-test" polyFit, circleFit, and sphereFit functions, not
immediately 'cause I'm under deadline, but in the not too distant future.