[SciPy-user] SciPy Data Analysis Workbench

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Thu Jan 18 03:36:51 EST 2007

Hello Robert,

Concerning TraitsUI, I think it is a _great_ productivity gain. It is a
bit hard to learn for people who have never used a graphical toolkit, but
if you are fluent with wxPython, it should be pretty fast to learn.

Bear in mind that it is only a layer above wxPython, so if you understand
wxPython and if you read section 4 of my tutorial you can blend to two
together.

As far as ETS goes it is a fantastic toolsuit but is not terribly well
distributed currently (no packages under linux or mac) but the
developpers are very helpful and they are actively working on that.

I have never regretted using TraitsUI. The fact that the widget
manipulation code vanishes from my code make it much more readable, and
automatic generation of panels is great. The biggest problem with it is
that it is still young.

If you have feedback on my tutorial, I would be very interested, I am
trying to lower the effort to learn GUI programming as much as possible.
I see many people around me who need this.

Cheers,

Gaël