[SciPy-user] Docstring standards for NumPy and SciPy

Gary Ruben gruben at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jan 17 17:41:55 EST 2007

I think the :Returns: section is missing.

Is see-also to be included at the end of the Notes section. For
see-also, Ed says we can just add ":see: `frobble`" markup, so we should
be able to just add a line like in the numpy example list on the wiki.

I'm not clear on what the :Keywords: section adds. I think the 2nd
example is just as good.

Reiterating my previous post about math, I'm arguing against LaTeX and
matplotlib examples in these docstrings. LaTeX math and graphical
examples would only be in the module-level docstrings, which won't be
seen in such environments as ipython. This means they'll only ever
appear to users as fully processed html pages or in pdfs. I think we can
use the :math:'eqn' and .. math: idioms.

Gary R.