[SciPy-user] Docstring standards for NumPy and SciPy

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Wed Jan 10 10:55:47 EST 2007

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Travis Oliphant apparently wrote:
> I'm strongly against line-noise in the docstrings.

Although I am a user not a developer, I have some experience
with reStructuredText and epydoc, and I wonder if they are
as "noisy" as you fear.  In general I think it gives
a very clean and readable look, and links are particularly
clean.  A big advantage is that the tools for processing
exist and are very good.  The idea that reST introduces
a lot of "noise" is contrary to my limited experience.  Do
I recall that Fernando Perez was exploring using the
latex-math support in documentation: if so, maybe he can
report on the experience.  (I have used it in documents,
where it works great, but not in documentation.)

I believe your example becomes something like the below
(doing this quickly).  There is also additional
functionality available.  For example, you can accumulate
a change log, which is nice!

The main thing that seems to be missing in the example is
a :notes: field that could hold multiple notes and perhaps
somthing equivalent for :see:.

fwiw,
Alan Isaac

"""
one-line summary not using variable names or the function name

A few sentences giving an extended description.

:Parameters:
   `var1`
        Explanation
   `variable2`
        Explanation
:return:  named, list, of, outputs
   - named:     explanation
   - list:      more detail
   - of:        blah, blah.
   - outputs:   even more blah
        A little-used input not always needed.
   `kwdarg2
        Some keyword arguments can and should be given in Inputs
        Section.  This is just for "little-used" inputs.
:note: Additional notes if needed
:note: More additional notes if needed
:author: name (date):  notes about what was done
:author: name (date):  major documentation updates can be included here also.
:see: func1 -- any notes about the relationship
:see: func2 --
:see: func3 --
:see: func4, func5, func6

Algorithm
---------

Notes about the implemenation algorithm (if needed).

This can have multiple paragraphs as can all sections.

Examples
--------

examples in doctest format

Comments
--------

This section should include anything that should not be displayed in
a help or other hard-copy output.  Such things as substitution-directed
directives should go here.

"""