[SciPy-user] Array manipulation

Nils Wagner nwagner at iam.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Feb 14 05:13:01 EST 2007

Stefan van der Walt wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 09:02:34AM +0100, Nils Wagner wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to remove the i-th column and row from a two-dimensional
>> array A. The remaining array
>> should be kept and stored in B
>>
>> A = random.rand(n,n)
>>
>> This task is very easy if i is the first or last row/column. In that
>> case one can use
>>
>> B = A[1:,1:]
>>
>> or
>>
>> B=A[:-1,:-1]
>>
>> But, what is the best way to get B  if  0 < i < n-1 ?
>>

> numpy.delete(x, i, 1)
>
> Cheers
> Stéfan

 Hi Joris and Stefan,

Thank you for your replies. It's nice to see that there are different
ways to realize this task.

BTW, "insert" is missing in http://www.scipy.org/Numpy_Example_List.
I forgot my password to access the wiki page. Joris, please can you
add an example for insert. I saw that you have just edited that page.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
                  Nils