[SciPy-user] problem with _num.seterr when importing scipy

Kevin Long krlong at sandia.gov
Fri Feb 9 16:22:01 EST 2007

Hello,

I'm getting an error message about "_num.seterr" when importing scipy.
Output is below.

<diogenes:/home/krlong> python
Python 2.4.4 (#1, Feb  9 2007, 14:45:36)
[GCC 3.4.6] on linux2
>>> import scipy
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/__init__.py", line 37,
in ?
    _num.seterr(all='ignore')
TypeError: seterr() got an unexpected keyword argument 'all'

I've googled the error message, but found no other reports of it.
To get past this problem, I commented out line 37 in __init.py__ and pressed
bravely (or foolishly) onwards. Things seem to work OK after that, but
I'm nervous about commenting something out of your code.

This is on SuSE 10.1, but I'm not using the versions of python, gcc, blas, or
lapack that were bundled with the system. The python version is 2.4.4. Lapack
is the distribution from netlib. The BLAS is the version shipped with
netlib's lapack, with srotmg.f, srotm.f, drotm.f,  and drotmg.f added (from
netlib's blas.tar.gz) to provide the complete BLAS needed by scipy.
Everything was built with gcc 3.4.6.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Kevin Long

        Dr. Kevin Long
        Computational Science and Mathematics Research Department
        Sandia National Laboratories

        MS 9217                               krlong at sandia.gov
        Livermore, CA 94551                   (925)-294-4910