[SciPy-user] What it the best way to install on a Mac?

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Thu Feb 1 13:21:58 EST 2007

In article <20070131223800.GA20121 at avicenna.cc.columbia.edu>,
 Lev Givon <lev at columbia.edu> wrote:

> ...It might be desirable to encourage a matplotlib person to add some
> information regarding the installation of that package, as I suspect
> that many folks in need of installation wisdom think in terms of the
> tetrad ipython/numpy/scipy/matplotlib.

My instructions for building a universal matplotlib for MacOS X from
source are here (google for "build matplotlib for mac"):
http://www.astro.washington.edu/owen/BuildingMatplotlibForMac.html

I would be happy to move this to a wiki if anyone can suggest an
appropriate one.

Having good instructions for building complex packages like matplotlib
is very important. It should be kept current and readily available. That
said, building matplotlib is tricky enough that few users will want to
bother. And they shouldn't have to. Most people will be much happier
with downloadable packages.

-- Russell