[SciPy-user] From the Sage/Jmol lists: "scholarly activity"?

william ratcliff william.ratcliff at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 17:30:24 EST 2007

At my workplace a very successful gui for use in diffraction was developed
called EXPGUI.  They published a paper describing it and asked people who
used it to cite it.  It is one of the most highly cited papers of our
facility.  For some utilities such as jmol (or matplotlib), could that
help?   Another approach that I have seen used is to require a registration
(free of course!) for people who want to download the  program (or tracking
of download statistics) to show impact to one's supervisors....Another
question--how would his department have looked upon an E-journal?  Another
question might be is whether or not a funding agency such as the NSF could
offer grants for work on OSS so that faculty who work on it could get more
credit from their departments?

Cheers,
William