[SciPy-user] Question about Eggs and easy_install

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitb.ac.in
Thu Dec 6 13:17:36 EST 2007

Lorenzo Isella wrote:
> I think that Numpy got updated to a version not yet available in the
> standard Debian testing repositories.
> My question is: as soon as  newer versions of Numpy and SciPy make it
> into Debian testing, will I be able to install them automatically with
> the usual apt-get upgrade?

If you remove the numpy-1.0.4 egg, then yes you shouldn't have any trouble.

> In other words: suppose, by absurd, that tomorrow SciPy 1.0 and Numpy
> 1.7 are released simultaneously as Debian testing packages; will my
> system upgrade to them automatically?

They should.

> I am simply wondering if I am now "condemned"  to use this
> non-standard (for me) procedure for updating SciPy & co.

No.  You will have trouble when mayavi2 gets into debian though.  When
that happens you may just want to blow away all the enthought.* eggs
that you have already installed.

Getting the mayavi2 package into testing may take a little while but a
few kind folks are working on the packaging currently.

cheers,
prabhu