[SciPy-user] New scipy release before 8/20? (Stefan van der Walt)

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Aug 9 22:41:04 EDT 2007

Lorenzo Isella wrote:
> Dear All,
> Sorry if this turns out to be a trivial question: I am running Debian
> testing on my box and I would like to avoid building SciPy from source
> using cvs.
> If SciPy is built under Ubuntu Launchpad, does that mean that the same
> package is more or less simultaneously available in Debian testing?

If by available you mean in officiel repositories, then no. What can
work though is to use the debian subdir which contains all the scripts,
and then rebuild the package: this may work. There are official deb
packages of scipy in unstable and maybe even testing now, though.

But honestly, debian is maybe the easiest platform to install numpy and
scipy on: you just do:

apt-get install g77 atlas3-base-dev atlas3-sse2-dev make gcc python-dev
subversion

And then fetch the numpy and scipy sources, and to python setup.py
install. Debian provides all the dependencies for you, making it really
easy.

David