[SciPy-user] Pros and Cons of Python verses other array environments

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 22:11:09 EDT 2006

I checked out winpdb, but I didn't see any debug console the likes of
Matlab or Wing IDE.  I recall that it also integrates pretty with
Stani's Python Editor (SPE) to make something very close to an IDE,
but I couldn't find the equivalent of the debug console I was looking
for in that combo.

Looking here:
http://www.digitalpeers.com/pythondebugger/images/screenshot_winpdb.png
there is a big 'console' window, but it looks like that 'console' is a
console for the debugger, rather than regular python shell, like a GUI
version of what ipython gives you.  That means you issue _debugger_
commands at the prompt, rather than plain old python expressions.
IIRC, one of those debugger commands is indeed "eval a python
expression", but that's an unnecessary layer of inconvenience.

If there is a way to get a real python shell executing in the context
of the program being currently debugged with ipython or with winpdb, I
would certainly like to know about it, and would like to advertise
that ability on the numpy for matlab users page.  I was really quite
surprised to not find any debuggers or IDEs that had this very useful
feature of matlab.

--bb