[SciPy-user] Pros and Cons of Python verses other array environments

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Thu Sep 28 21:44:43 EDT 2006

I pretty much agree with Rob's points. Ease of installation and
having all the basic tools packaged together (note, this doesn't mean
everything) is a big deal to many users.

Despite others' comments to the contrary, that Python is more general
than matlab will make it less seamless. Beginners can get confused
over simple things like why math.add doesn't work on an array. The
fact is that most of the rest of the Python world isn't array aware
(and don't care). Matlab or IDL pretty much ensure that everything
integrates with arrays.  I don't think this issue will ever go away.
We can minimize it, but we will never (imho) beat matlab in this
respect. On the other hand, we can sell people on the fact that
Python is much more useful for other things so they don't have to
learn some other tool for those.

Perry