[SciPy-user] malloc incorrect checksum for freed object error using delaunay module

Aaron Hoover ahoover at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 28 21:03:58 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I'm using SciPy 0.5.1 with the delaunay module built from source on
OS X (Intel Mac). I'm also using iPython 0.7.2, NumPy 1.0.5b, and
matplotlib 0.87.5 (all built from source).

I'm having the strangest problem - I've been able to use the delaunay
function in delaunay.triangulate just fine up until recently when I
triangulated a fairly large data set (2M points).
The triangulation succeeded (but took a while, of course), but now
whenever I attempt to use the delaunay function again, I get the
following error:

Python(288,0xa000cf60) malloc: *** error for object 0x1b47e00:
incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified
after being freed, break at szone_error to debug
Python(288,0xa000cf60) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to
debug

Then, iPython dies with a "Bus error." Rebooting does not help

My question is twofold. Does anyone know what causes this error?
(Google turned up an enormous variety of sources for this error in
just about all software that uses malloc.h).
And, is it possible to fix this without rebuilding SciPy. Rebuilding
isn't really *that* big of a deal, but I'd like to know if there's an
easier solution in case this thing rears its ugly head in the
future.

Thanks,
Aaron