[SciPy-user] Scipy and fink

Barry Wark barrywark at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 10:33:55 EDT 2006

Jerry,

Scipy does install from Fink, at least on PowerPC (haven't tried it on
Intel). I've used it successfully. The Fink-installed scipy will not
work with the "Framework" version of python on OS X(1). If you are
willing to stick with Fink's python as well, you're all set.

Barry

(1) In case you don't know, python on OS X comes in two flavors, the
unix version and the "Framework" version. Fink installs the unix
version of python, compiling its shared libraries as dynamic link
libraries. The "Framework" version is like the one shipped with the OS
by Apple. All the python shared libraries are compiled as OS X
frameworks. Although the apple-supplied python is 2.3, 2.4 versions of
the framework build are available from macpython.org or ActiveState.
The only reason the distinction matters is that extensions compiled
against one type of macpython will not work with the other. Just FYI.