[SciPy-user] Triangulation of L-shaped domains

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 5 07:36:37 EDT 2006

    Stefan> I am glad to see this included.  The python implementation
    Stefan> is my first choice, but if you are looking for speed
    Stefan> specifically, I also wrote weave and ctype versions.

Hey Stefan,

I have been working on a lasso tool for matplotlib, and the lasso
polygon might have more than 100 vertices and the plot might have more
than 100,000 markers, so I am definitely looking for top speed.  Since
it is for matplotlib, I also need maximum portability, so generally I
can't count on the presence of weave (no scipy dependency) or ctypes
(no python 2.4 dependency).  But having your python implementation was
a big help as a motivator and point of reference.  Eventually, when we
no longer need to support Numeric and numarray, which should be
getting close, I'd like to see this kind of thing go into numpy if
there is a suitable place for it there.  At that point, we might also
be able to jettison 2.3 support, and a ctypes solution would be an
excellent choice.

I didn't see your ctypes or weave implementations in the original
thread -- could you post a link or send them my way?

Thanks!
JDH