[SciPy-user] [Numpy-discussion] Need more comments from scientific community on python-dev

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 13:18:03 EST 2006

On 10/31/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at ee.byu.edu> wrote:
> Fernando Perez wrote:

> >I actually worry about the same: I really would like to help, but
> >after reading the whole discussion, I realized that the low-level
> >details being asked and discussed are something I don't really know
> >enough to say anything.  And I don't want to sound simply saying 'Hey,
> >Travis is great, listen to him!' to python-dev, since that (asides
> >from looking silly) can be somewhat counter-productive.
> >

> >How does that sound, Travis?  Is that something you think might help
> >you, esp. since so many of us are feeling woefully underqualified to
> >lend a useful hand in the actual discussion on python-dev?
> >

> That would be great.   I think a couple of things would also be useful.

OK, my experience so far has been that there's a certain 'activation
barrier' with Wikis, but once pages are there, people for some reason
feel more comfortable filling in.  So even though it's mostly a place
holder, I went ahead and made this:

http://www.scipy.org/ArrayInterfacePEP

Hopefully as the discussion evolves, this page can be filled in with
all the necessary info in one place, and it will become in a few days
a solid, organized repository of all the key points in this
discussion.  This will be a LOT easier to refer to in the python-dev
battle than randomly scattered bits of emails in the discussion
thread.

I'll try to spend more time on it over the next few days to fill in,
but I'm pretty busy with other things as well, so hopefully others can
pitch in as well.

Cheers,

ps - one more thing.  This guy:

http://blog.vrplumber.com/

has been rewriting the OpenGL bindings using ctypes, and I've seen
posts from him about numpy (in his blog).  He might be able to
contribute something...