[SciPy-user] numpy-1.0rc2 still does not build on MacOS X 10.4.7 (PPC)

Tom Bridgman cygnusx1 at mac.com
Tue Oct 17 22:24:47 EDT 2006

> I think this is a Python build issue.  As far as I know the build
> flags
> are gathered from Python.
>
> Look for a config directory where Python is installed and the Makefile
> in that directory.
>
> On my system it is in
>
> /usr/lib/python2.4/config/Makefile
>
> Changing the options there seems to affect distutils which is where
> numpy gets it's information about how to build.
>
> -Travis

I've found the OS X version of this file in /Library/Frameworks/
Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/config/Makefile.  There
appear to be -c compiler flags in a section under the heading:
"Special rules for object files".  Don't have time to try it this
evening but it is a place to start for tomorrow.

My 'plan B' will be R. Kern's suggestion of using gFortran, by which
I assume he means use gfortran-bin.tar.gz located here: http://
hpc.sourceforge.net/.  I did use the Universal Python build.

Seems like there are more possible branching options in this
installation than indicated on the installation page.  I'll try these
out over the next day or so and get back with my results.

Thanks,
Tom
--
W.T. Bridgman, Ph.D.