[SciPy-user] Solving Two boundary value problems with Python/Scipy

John Hassler hasslerjc at adelphia.net
Fri Oct 6 09:32:36 EDT 2006

I don't think that there's a function specifically for boundary value
ode problems in SciPy, but it is pretty simple to combine an ode solver
with a zero finder to use the "shooting method."  I'm not familiar with
how rlab or Matlab does it, but the Scilab "bvode" uses a finite
difference method.  If the problem isn't too complex, the shooting
method is easy to set up, and works as well as the finite difference
method.  (In my vast experience ... well, ok, two applications ... the
shooting method was more forgiving and less brittle than the finite
difference method.)

What sort of bvp do you have?

john