[SciPy-user] Finding clustered vectors

Aaron Hoover ahoover at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 21 21:34:01 EST 2006

Hi all,

I've got a question maybe some of you can help me with. I have two
images, one of which is a planar translation of the other, so I know
it contains some of the same "features" (using this loosely) as the
first image. I have some different approaches matching features and
using those results to calculate candidate 2D shift vectors for each
2 image sequence. Most of the time, those vectors aren't all the same
due to noise, imperfect matching, features leaving the frame, etc.
However there are usually at least a few whose dx and dy values are
very close, while the others are somewhat noisy and relatively
randomly distributed.

My question is, what's the best way to get those values in that
cluster? I've tried some very simple statistical methods, but because
of outliers and things, simply comparing to the mean and/or variance
hasn't worked too well. Basically, if I *know* there's going to be a
cluster of at least 2 vectors with nearly the same values how can I
easily extract those values (or the mean of those values)?

Thanks,
Aaron