[SciPy-user] What is missing in scipy to be a top notch environment for signal processing (lpc and co) ?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 15:22:30 EST 2006

David Cournapeau wrote:
>     - I have code based on fftw to compute the autocorrelation using fft
> (can be adapted for cross correlation too). As I think this would be
> useful in scipy, I understand that it cannot use fftw. Which fft should
> I use in scipy C code ?

Hmm. It would be best if scipy.fftpack were to expose a C API such that the
combination of libraries that we wrap could be used by other extension modules.
Does the whole autocorrelation function have to be written in C? Could it
perhaps be written in Python and simply call scipy.fftpack.fft?

>     - I would be interested in solving 3, and eventually 4, but I would
> need some advices from others, as I am not sure how to solve them API-wise.

This kind of signal processing isn't my bailiwick; however, if you have specific
questions, I'll try to answer them.

>     I don't know if this is of any interest for other, but I believe
> some of those functionalities to be a basic requirement for scipy to be
> used by people in signal processing.

I'm certainly interested in seeing our offerings expand. If you want SVN access
to start playing around in the sandbox, please email Jeff Strunk <jstrunk at
enthought dot com>, and he will set you up.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco