[SciPy-user] General parallel processing question

Anand Patil anand at soe.ucsc.edu
Fri Nov 17 00:13:10 EST 2006

Hi again everyone,

Say I have two objects A and B. A's member functions _occasionally_ want
to call the member functions of B, and vice versa. Both A and B have to
do a lot of work between calls to each other's member functions.

I'd like to push B off to a new process, but be able to program as if it
were still in the same process as A. That is, I'd like to be able to
call B's member functions from A without having to teach A how to do
interprocess communication.

The solution I've been thinking of is to write 'avatar' objects that
represent objects living in different processes and know how to pass
member function calls along to their 'true selves' (probably using
mpi4py and/or IPython1, but I haven't worked out the details yet). If A
lives in process 0 and B gets pushed to process 1, I would create an
avatar of B in process 0 and one of A in process 1.

That scheme would get kind of klunky, though. Has anyone thought about/
dealt with this situation before?

Thanks,
Anand