[SciPy-user] scipy not easy_install-able

David M. Cooke cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca
Mon May 29 23:04:09 EDT 2006

Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> writes:

> Stian Soiland wrote:
>> I tried, naively perhaps, to install scipy using easy_install[1]:
>
>> I don't know quite why this things happens, if it is scipy, numpy or
>> easy_install's fault.  It would be nice to install via easy_install
>> instead of doing it manually. I am afraid I don't have time to look
>> further into the matters right now..
>>
>> I am on: OS X 10.4, Python 2.4.1, numpy 0.9.4
>
> It's a known issue. David Cooke recently checked in some changes to numpy that
> should help. I have not yet tried it myself, though.

Numpy 0.9.8 is easy_install'able with the latest setuptools (0.6b1). I
just tried, and scipy bombs out partway (looks like it doesn't build
the fftpack library, so I'm guessing somewhere some
dependency-generating code doesn't get called).

The problem is we extend distutils (with numpy.distutils) extensively,
and some of that conflicts with what setuptools does, so using
easy_install is a bit fragile. (The current "fix" depends on some
internal details of setuptools, hence the requirement for 0.6b1.)

Making an egg is ok, and has worked for a while now. Do this:

$ python setup.py build
$ python -c 'import setuptools; execfile("setup.py")' bdist_egg
$ easy_install dist/scipy-<version>.egg