[SciPy-user] typeset math

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri May 5 19:28:48 EDT 2006

On 5/5/06, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> It means going from a string 'x + \sqrt y = z' to a Python object that can tell
> renderers (other Python objects conforming to an abstract interface) where to
> place glyphs on a canvas. No specific formats. No chains of external processes.
> No parsing the output of some other processor. No distributional nightmares.

Just to add some context for the benefit of the OP (Robert, correct me
if I'm misinterpreting your intent), the mathtext mode in matplotlib
provides a crude implementation of this idea.

I don't think  it conform to an abstract interface, as I think it is
somewhat hardcoded inside matplotlib, but perhaps looking at it can
give you some ideas.

Regards,