[SciPy-user] data acquisition in Python

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Tue Mar 21 21:27:42 EST 2006

Ryan Krauss wrote:

>Is anyone aware of data acquisition hardware that works well with
>Python?  I would like to use Python for buffered analog-to-digital and
>digital-to-analog applications.  I would be particularly interested in
>fairly inexpensive solutions.  I found one European company that sort
>of claims to support Python, but I didn't know how easy it might be to
>wrap C++ drivers from other hardware manufacturers.

What OS? Do you mean double buffered (for continuous ongoing sampling)
or is single-shot OK?

Generally, there's probaby a C library to do what you want, so there's
the option to wrap it.

For Measurement Computing devices, see
http://www.its.caltech.edu/~astraw/pyul.html . There's a 'Also of
interest' section on that page. I've also got a Pyrex wrapper for Jasper
Warren's linux PMD1208FS code which I may be able to put online if
there's interest... Note that none of this stuff is extensively tested,
but it's a start, anyway.

Comedi comes with a Python interface, but I haven't tried it.