[SciPy-user] arrays with units

Alexander Ross alex.j.ross at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 20:47:49 EDT 2006

I'm in need of a simple way to attach units of measurement to a numpy
array.  I've read some of the previous discussion on the topic, and
found the constants module tucked away in the sandbox. While the
constants package does a good job at providing access to the various
physical constants it doesn't satisfy my needs.  The package Unum
would require me to use object arrays, and I don't want to do that.

Ideally, I'd like an extended ndarray adding a new attribute
`units'.  The `units' attribute would be updated by the appropriate
arithmetic operations, and I guess exceptions would be raised for
operations which don't make sense.

Is anything like this in the works? Should I strike out on my own?

Alex Ross
Student Hire
NOAA's National Weather Service
Fairbanks, Alaska