[SciPy-user] Triangular Matrix, Matrix Manipulations

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 18:13:38 EDT 2006

Chris Lasher wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am unsure whether my question is more appropriate for the SciPy or
> NumPy discussion list, but I'm hoping I chose wisely; if not, please
> feel free to correct me and I'll redirect the email.
>
> I am interested in learning if a triangular matrix (lower or upper,
> does not matter to me) structure exists in SciPy or NumPy. I'd like to
> work with DNA or protein distance matrices, which are symmetric about
> the central axis ([0][0] to [n][n]) and such a structure might help
> greatly.

I don't believe so. I've thought for several years now that a great addition to
scipy.sparse would be "sparse" matrices that use the various "packed" storage
schemes from LAPACK, including symmetric matrices. It would take a fair bit of
work to get the details right, though.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."