[SciPy-user] fisrt version of physical constants module + codata

David M. Cooke cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca
Fri Jun 2 15:22:22 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 18:50:14 +0200
"weg werp" <wegwerp at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I think you should establish a naming convention for us, imperial,
> > (metric?) values. eg.
> > cup_us = 0.2365882365
> > cup = 0.25
> > This means changing gallon to gallon_us
> My convention is to only use the most common version without any
> suffix and only mark the lesser used variants (if they are used at
> all).

I'm -1 on suffix/non-suffix for similarly named units. I'd like
suffices on all the variants, eg. gallon_us and gallon_uk (or
gallon_imp).

gallon_us is the lesser-used one if you're in the UK. And a
pint here in Canada is the UK one, not the American one (you get
more beer here :-) Plus, there's things like ounces, which have several
different meanings: fluid ounce (Imperial and US), ounce-force,
avoirdupois ounce, troy ounce, etc. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ounce

As some who grew up with metric, and in a country where the Imperial
units used to be more common, I can't tell you which is "the most
common version" for your definitions.

http://arbutus.physics.mcmaster.ca/dmc/ |cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca