[SciPy-user] troubles installing Scipy on SUSE 10.1

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Tue Jul 25 15:57:15 EDT 2006

Nicolas Chopin wrote:

>     Dear Scipy users,
> I am sorry, but things are getting weirder and weirder...
>
> When I install Christian's rpm's, I get this:
>
>> python
>> Python 2.4.2 (#1, May  2 2006, 08:13:46)
>> [GCC 4.1.0 (SUSE Linux)] on linux2
>> import linsolve.umfpack -> failed: cannot import name ArrayType
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>>   File
>> "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/ndimage/__init__.py",
>> line 34, in ?
>>     from filters import *
>>   File
>> "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/ndimage/filters.py",
>> line 34, in ?
>>     import _nd_image
>> RuntimeError: module compiled against version 90709 of C-API but this
>> version of numpy is 1000000
>

> Which suggests some incompatibility between numpy and scipy; but why
> would it work for Christian and not for me?

For binary installs, the version number of scipy and numpy have to be
compatible.   Right now, there is not a binary-released version of scipy
that is compatible with numpy 1.0 beta.  This should change in a few days.

> So the only error messages I got (again, before trying to use
> Christian's rpms), was when I tried to import scipy:
>
>>import linsolve.umfpack -> failed: liblapack.so.3: cannot open shared
>>> object file: No such file or directory
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>>>   File
>>> "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/linalg/__init__.py", line
>>> 8, in ?
>>>     from basic import *
>>>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/linalg/basic.py",
>>> line 17, in ?
>>>     from flinalg import get_flinalg_funcs
>>>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/linalg/flinalg.py",
>>> line 15, in ?
>>>     from numpy.distutils.misc_util import PostponedException
>>> ImportError: cannot import name PostponedException

You've got an older version of scipy.  This command is not in current
SVN version of scipy.

So, it looks like the problem is still that you are not installing a
version of scipy that is compatible with NumPy 1.0 beta (right now, you
have to check out the SVN version of scipy to get one that is).

-Travis