[SciPy-user] Eigenvalues and eigenvectors

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 20:17:19 EDT 2006

On 7/13/06, Albert Strasheim <fullung at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all
>
> Nils Wagner wrote:
> > Bill Baxter wrote:
> > > On 7/12/06, *David Grant* <davidgrant at gmail.com
> > > <mailto:davidgrant at gmail.com>> wrote:
> > >

> > > SciPy really needs a wrapper for ARPACK.
> > >    http://www.caam.rice.edu/software/ARPACK/download.html
> > >
> > +1
>
> Definately another +1.
>
> MATLAB's eigs (sparse eig) also uses some ARPACK functions. I'd like to
> tackle this problem, but I'll probably only get to it at the of August (if
> someone doesn't beat me to it, hopefully).

I threw out the name ARPACK there like I'm some kind of ARPACK expert, but
the truth is that all I know about it is what you just said -- it's what
Matlab uses for eigs, and I want an eigs replacement too.  :-)  My time
frame for actually needing it is not immediate either.  But I'm trying to
inch my way towards being able to make contributions like that.  Working my
way through the prerequisites like getting my own numpy and scipy to
compile, etc.

--bb