[SciPy-user] ATLAS and gcc v4.0.2

Christian Kristukat ckkart at hoc.net
Tue Feb 28 05:20:55 EST 2006

Nils Wagner wrote:

>>> SuSE 10.0 comes with gcc-fortran
>>>
>>> Name        : gcc-fortran                  Relocations:
>> You're right. But the executable is called 'gfortran'. I
>> mixed that up.
>>
> I have already build blas and lapack libraries using g77
> according to the installation hints.
>
> Can I use them or must I recompile blas and lapack with
> gfortran ?

I'm not an expert on this subject, just sharing my experiences. If you're using
ATLAS you don't need BLAS as far as I understood. I followed the instructions in
the link I posted before. Compared to the compilation time of ATLAS, LAPACK
builds almost instantaneously, so it doesn't hurt to rebuild LAPACK, I just
don't know wether g77 built LAPACK works together with gfortran ATLAS.
At least I know, that if you're using gfrotran all the time, everything works
fine on SuSE 10.0.

Good luck, Christian